Find out about how Apprenticeship based training can help by upskilling staff in their current role or even support re-deployment into another role elsewhere in the department. Join the University Apprenticeships Team at one of our regular live virtual information sessions where we will discuss the opportunities available and how it might work for you.
Don’t forget we have over £6M in our Apprenticeship Levy account that can be spent on your Apprenticeship based training. Please visit our Eventbrite page using the link below, where you can register to attend.
For more information, please download our advice for managers document on the right.
Professional qualifications for University staff
Our Apprenticeship programmes provide funded professional training and development opportunities for University staff. Even staff that are currently furloughed can enrol on an Apprenticeship based course. The training courses cover a wide range of skill areas that are core to University administration as well as covering technical and niche skills areas. All of the courses are accredited and offer professional, job-related qualifications.
Whilst these courses are funded via the Apprenticeship levy, they are available to staff of all ages and grades. The training does require a significant time commitment over a minimum of a year and as such both staff and their managers need to consider this and commit to completion.
Please read the guidance below and speak to your line manager about whether one of these courses might be suitable to develop your skills and how the training can fit around your job.
If you have any queries about the existing staff Apprenticeship programme, please email the Apprenticeships Team
What is the whole process from start to finish?
- Visit the Apprenticeships website - read general and course information (to see all available Apprenticeship courses, search on the Government website)
- Discuss with your manager:
- The course you want to do and the time commitment
- How it will increase your skills and benefit the team
- Sign up for an Information Session (with your manager if possible). To see the next ones click here
- Complete an application form on this - your manager needs to support your application
- Phone call with Training Provider to discuss details of course and to arrange initial meeting (this may be virtual)
- Visit from Training Provider (at your workplace or remotely) to complete initial consultation/assessment and confirm details and start dates. This will take 2-3 hours
- Complete enrolment process, including Apprenticeship and funding paperwork
- Course induction, introduction to training programme and supporting IT packages
- Attend any professional training sessions and complete work-based elements
- Complete any required end point assessments, exams, portfolios etc.
- Successful completion and award of professional qualification