- Meet our Apprentices
- Top tips
Advice from current apprentices...
- Make use of every opportunity available. The university offers some great projects and lectures that are open for members of staff to attend, even if they don’t seem relevant to your current role, it might be something that could interest you for career development!
- Make the most of your time within the University. You only regret what you don’t do.
- Talk to your colleagues about which modules you are currently working on, they might be able to help you find evidence for your portfolio.
- Don’t be nervous about introducing yourself to new people, and build many positive relationships with the people you meet, you’ll never know when you might need their help.
- Focus! at college and work hard to achieve high grades as doing well will make you feel better at work, and try and apply what you learn to situations at work to develop your understanding.
- Enjoy it as much as you can, you are being paid to learn.
Advice from current managers and supervisors...
- Be prepared to take on new challenges – get as much experience as possible, it is the best way to learn new skills.
- Build in time to dedicate to your studies – set aside a specific time each week to ensure that you can remain focused.
- Learn from your colleagues - as an apprentice you will have the opportunity to work with many different people. Ask about their experiences.
- Get to to know the University and what opportunities there could be for you in the future.
- Don’t be afraid ask for help – training is important.
- Don’t be afraid to say no if you are too busy – speak to your manager / mentor.
- Embrace opportunities offered and keep your eye out for work experience in another department.
- Network within the University.
- Speak to your manager / mentor if you have any concerns around work our your course.